Thursday, June 19, 2014

HELP AMY K - (UPDATED)

[pic not of Amy's actual collection]

Let me tell you a tale of sadness, anger and hopefully compassion....
Your fellow Comic Lover, AMY K, is going through a divorce. A few weeks ago, without permission, her Ex sold her entire Comic Book Collection to a local store. Over 8,000 comics for $400. She seeked legal and police help, but because they are still legally married, there is nothing she can do. She even attempted to purchase the comics back from the store, but the owner did not "want to get involved in the domestic dispute" and refused to sell them back to her.

Over 8,000 comics, collected from Childhood, gone. Amy emotionally recalled how many had sentimental value... her father taking her into town to buy new comics... searching for that 1 missing issue and thrill of finding it..... Its just heartbreaking. And infuriating!!! But unfortunately, what's done is done.

However, being a Comic Fan means you are part of a larger community (whether you know it or not). And we fellow comic fans are going to help her rebuild that collection. Amy sent me a requested wishlist of those issues that meant the most to her. You can see the list HERE.

I've gone through my own collection and pulled doubles and those I'm willing to part with, and am going to send them to her! I think I have about 60 comics so far.... and plan on pulling more as I continue to go through the collection. Also, now that I have her list, I will be keeping an eye out at Conventions, Comic Shop Sales, etc.

If you would also like to help Amy, check out her wantlist HERE.... if you have any you're willing to donate, let me know and we'll work out getting the books to her.

Thank you in advance!!!

---------

UPDATED: The response has been amazing, with donated books already being packaged up to send out! Thank you, you wonderful generous people! I have updated Amy's want list, HERE, including a 2nd list at the bottom that just lists those issues donated. I will do my best to keep it updated. If you have any questions, please let me know. And again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

14 comments:

kama said...

How about we find where this guys lives and "help" him with his arms and legs?

Hobgoblin238 said...

I am doing the same thing. 34 years ago my friends destroyed and burned down my house. I lost everything. I am collecting it back again though.

Amy K. said...

Jim, thank you so much! The support that I've gotten from you and some others is very heartwarming. I appreciate it so much. You are all turning a tragic event into a wonderful tale of human compassion and generosity.

Yes, I am the Amy K. that Jim talks about in his blog. :)

Bubbashelby said...

Who's the jerk comic store owner? He buys a collection deceitfully sold and won't man up and do the right thing? Sounds like a real jerk and maybe folks should be made aware of how he runs his business, so they can take theirs elsewhere.

allen etter said...

Boycotting the store would be a great idea. Might make the owner reconsider...

allen etter said...

I'll go through the list and see what I can do. When I was in college, my mom sold my entire Star Wars comic book collection. Last February my wife replace it! I understand the frustration on a much smaller scale.

Unknown said...

I gotta agree with Eric's comment above. The collection was purchased deceitfully, and clearly if you're a comic book store owner and you're buying a collection of 8k comics for $400 something is a bit fishy.

It's a sad day when a jerk owner like that isn't willing to make things right again. I think the public should be aware of this, and customers of the shop should boycott.

allen etter said...

I'm going to check out Books, Comics and Things. It's our local store. I think they have the Micronauts pretty cheap.

allen etter said...

Also, seriously...that comic book store NEEDS to be boycotted. If Amy is comfortable naming the store, it could happen.

Amy K. said...

The store is called R-Galaxy, located in Tucson. They have an eBay store as well, under the same name, I believe.

I went to great lengths to find someone who would be willing to pick up and store the collection. The shop owner wanted the money he paid out, plus $150 for labor and time spent going through and grading the collection. I was more than willing to pay him that. The next time I talked to him, he upped his price by $300. I was still willing to pay him, BUT... he would only have me pick up the comics. He didn't care that I was calling from 2,000 miles away (which he could see if he had caller ID). "If they're so important to you, come on out here and get them!" Never mind that I didn't have a dime to my name, and was borrowing money as it was, to try to pay him.

He even stated that I was harassing him, and that I harassed one of his workers by asking for him. All I did was ask for him, and the call was less than 10 seconds long. That constitutes harassment in his eyes. I work in customer service. I guess the guy who called today, demanding a free catalog, although we always charge $5.00, was harassing the hell out of me. I'll just sue everyone I talk to at that job, and walk away a millionaire, right? Uh huh.

In any case, I spoke to the police, and they told me that unless I get a court order (which takes months and thousands of dollars which I do not have - guess I better get on those harassment cases), my ex was allowed to sell the books, burn them, whatever, since they're considered community property, and R-Galaxy can legally sell them.

I can fight for half the value of the comics in court, but since they were never appraised, photographed, or videotaped, I have no proof of their worth. I would get a measly $200 which is half of what my ex sold them for.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your support. It means a great deal to me.

gef the talking mongoose said...

Purely as a matter of public information, y'know, I see that the shop in question has a Facebook page -- https://www.facebook.com/pages/R-Galaxy/117059608365284.

allen etter said...

I picked up Micronauts: the new voyages vol 1-4 today at the local store. Will get them in the mail Tuesday.

Amy K. said...

Thanks so much, Allen! You're awesome. <3

allen etter said...

Your welcome Amy...wish I could do more!