Tuesday, March 12, 2013

RECOMMENDED READING: GAMMA


One of my favorite artists ULISES FARINAS recently wrapped up a 3-part story in Dark Horse Presents #18-20 called "GAMMA". Not only did Farinas provide the super sweet art, but he co-wrote it!

from ComicsAlliance:
For the past few months, Dark Horse Presents has been distilling, well, everything I like about everything... Ulises Farinas and his co-writer Erick C. Freitas have fused aspects of the Power Rangers, Pokémon, classic kaiju films and iconic toy lines into a story about one man's fall from grace and... potential redemption? Maybe?


In the hilarious, awesome and hilariously awesome world of Gamma, a washed-up trainer called Dusty (a nod to Pokémon protagonist, Ash) takes punches for cash at a bar as profitable penance for turning his back on a planet overrun by monsters. Rather than slink back to the company of his ashamed wife to lick his daily wounds, Dusty continues to descend further and further into drunkenness and depravity until a shot at getting laid presents itself. Will Dusty triumph over his cowardly past and return to a life of something resembling heroism in Dark Horse Presents #20?

I loved this story! Two things hit me when I was reading 'Gamma' - first that I was smiling the entire time, and secondly that Farinas & Freitas instantly transported me into a different world. And when the story ended, I was yanked back into my own reality (which bummed me out). I hope they do a sequel or other collaborations together because I need more!


All 3 issus of DHP are out now, so definitely go pick them up because 'GAMMA' is a lot fun. If you love great art, fun writing, Pokemon, Godzilla, other Giant Monsters, Power Rangers, Ultra Man, etc then you will dig this!


And head over to Comics Alliance to read the great interview with Ulises Farinas, HERE!

*previous Ulises Farinas posts

No comments: