Thursday, June 03, 2010

CAPTAIN AMERICA MOVIE COSTUME

Here's the Concept Design for the upcoming CAPTAIN AMERICA movie (source). I really miss the "Scale Mail" aspect of the Torso that John Cassaday introduced to the Mythos in 2002, which has been the official look of Cap ever since. (and funny enough, I miss the helmet wings!).

Those aside, I'm not digging the LINE WORK inside his shoulders & legs. They take away from the design flow and doesn't feel "Captain America" to me. Nor do I like the straps on the Torso that make up the Red-and-White stripes (they look like suspenders). Cool idea in theory, but I just don't think they work. Maybe if there was a vertical red stripe in between....

I do, however, dig the brown boots, gloves and large belt pouches. Overall, these pics remind me too much of the sporty ULTIMATES version, which I never liked. I was hoping for something more along the lines of the version seen in the recent "REBORN" series (which the above is close to... Man, let's have some scale mail!):And these pics also confirm my fears that CHRIS EVANS is simply NOT Captain America.
---
On a side note... check it out, the Concept Artist took from the comics' artwork (neat!):
(from Steve Epting)(from Steve Epting)(from Jim Lee)(Gah, I've seen this pose before! Help me out!)

11 comments:

Andrew Glazebrook said...

I really like this movie costume !!!

Valkaad said...

As a HUGE captain america fan this is unbelievably disappointing. The costume does NOT look good! The reborn costume looks so much more "realistic", rugged and practical (not to mention wayyy f-in cooler). The costume looks bad enough on its on. Pairing Chris Evans (uggghh really!) with that lousy costume is like multiplying zeros. When I heard that they were doing a Cap film I was nervous but hopeful. My dream was that it would be as good as Dark Knight. My hope was that it would be as good as the first Ironman. Sadly the realization is probably gonna be somewhere between Daredevil and Elektra. Pre-rating 3.5 (10)

Frank Gillespie said...

Jim, the “suspenders” aint really all that bad. When a pistol belt is worn with ammo pouches or such it is normal to use the suspenders. The exception to the rule is when the pistol belt is worn as a ceremonial piece as soldiers do when on guard duty, funeral detail, or flag duty. At least that’s the way things worked twenty years ago when I served.

I agree with you on the line work: not everything should look like it is a suit of armor.

Jim said...

hey, Frank... I don't hate the "suspenders" and I like the idea... I think its the lack of the middle vertical red stripe that's throwing evrything off and make the straps look like "suspenders". Put in that middle red stripe and it works!

...and put the scale mail on him. :)

Frank Gillespie said...

gotchya, I with ya now! Scales would be nice too.

Chun said...

WHAT?!? Where are the wings?!? Hawkeye can't call him Winghead anymore.

Citizen Justice said...

One, I really liked the Ultimates WW2 Cap with a helmet and leather mask combo, I have the toy too, its bad ass... so its to bad they have this weird thing... I don't mind some of the solutions for making this costume more "realistic" but as far i understood this was gonn take place in WW2, so it doesn't really look like something from that era. But who knows what it will look like IRL with the lights and mud and scenery and shit...
Anyho TWO, that final question mark pose looks alot light the standard "The Right Stuff" pose of astronauts walking, which I'm guessing inspired the Justice League animated intro... which could have inspired this, perhaps?

Scott said...

This sucks... I'm sure the babymen will will crying over it at the conventions...

Jim said...

Why wait until the conventions?

Anonymous said...

they can be "baby men" all they want,..Theey're still right...
-it Sucks

Anonymous said...

Scott... what a douche comment coming from what seems like a douchenozzle. some of those "babymen" who still dig this shit (like me) can kick the ever-loving crap out of you, so how "manly" does that make you feel, stud?

anywho; i kinda dig the costume so far. not the worst changes, hold true to what we know in alot of ways, and workable for a "special soldier".

my problem is w/ the casting. the Human freakin' Torch should NOT have gotten this role. is Hollywood and/or Marvel SO PATHETIC as to only have had this guy as their choice?!?!

i'd rather have Sam Worthington play Cap, and that guy is freakin' AUSTRALIAN. at least he looks rugged w/ out a bunch of cheesy lines stapled to his tongue!!!

seriously; this movie, among all the recent ones, is gonna have to try DAMN HARD to not be a complete flop and joke. i swear; they get it right w/ IM & IM2, and the like, then seemingly have to contractually throw out a turd ever so often. if it is good, then i'll eat my words, but i STRONGLY dislike Evans in that role.