Thursday, October 01, 2009

HALLOWEEN MOVIES 2009

YAY, IT'S OCTOBER!!
Not only is it OCTOBERFEST (mmmm, beer) but its also HALLOWEEN MONTH! That's right, every October I celebrate Halloween all month long; decorations, cookies and of course MOVIES! This year I think I'm going to watch the following movies.

* THE TRUE CLASSICS:
Last year I wanted to watch Bela Legosi's DRACULA and ABBOT & COSTELLO MEETS FRANKENSTEIN, but sadly didn't. So this year I'm vowing to! In addition, I'm going to revisit many of the other classic Universal Monster flicks; BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE WOLF MAN (before the remake comes out next year) and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON.

* THE TRADITIONS:
There's 3 movies I always watch every Halloween Month, and this year will be no different: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, PUMPKINHEAD, HALLOWEEN (orig) and GREAT PUMPKIN CHARLIE BROWN (on tv "LIVE" - the only way to watch it - no dvr or recording!). In addition, I'm going to watch ALIEN. A couple years now I've had the pleasure of seeing this on the bigscreen the week of Halloween. So freaking awesome - in a way its become a Halloween tradition (outside my [ab]normal viewings).

* OTHERS:
This year I'm feeling whimsical and fantastical (ie non-slasher films): POLTERGEIST, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST (fuk the remake!) and HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II.

* NEWBIE:
Last year I avoided the [unnecessary] remake of FRIDAY THE 13th and instead watched a few of the originals. This year, to hell with it, I'm going to give the remake a spin even though I know it won't be great.

Join me in viewing these all month long!

3 comments:

Sweet Monkey Fritters said...

I look forward to October for the same reason! The Creature From the Black Lagoon never gets old for some strange reason. Hell, all those original Universal Monster flicks are still fun. Those are givens.

Also warming up in the on-deck circle at SMF’s Home Cinema Complex: Romero's “Night” thru “Land of the Dead” films. (Screw Diary. Hated it.) I’m even giving the Dawn remake another chance. Others include: Rawhead Rex, the original Stepfather with Terry O’Quinn. (Not quite Halloween… but he makes a great villain in that one.) American Werewolf in London, Alien and Aliens, Fright Night, Cronenberg’s Fly before he remakes it, Pet Semetary (It’s not Halloween without the Ramones), Jaws (I like Jaws the way you like Alien) and Yentl.

You can’t get a more shrieking-out-loud-tearing-your-own-eyelids-off horrific film than Yentl, you know.

Unknown said...

All great choices Jim. my months viewing experience will be very similar, (Poltergeist/Halloween always a must) Will be sitting in chilling out to lots with my fiance, the only time she'll give in and watch horrors with me :)

If you haven't got around to seeing the following films yet & can fit a few extra in this year I highly recommend,
Martyrs http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029234/

Inside http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

Haute tension http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338095/

3 very very well directed French horrors in my opinion. Disturbing yes but isn't that the point of cinema sometimes. Happy October :)

Bat Guano said...

re: Traditions...surely you mean 'Abby Normal' viewings?