Thursday, January 29, 2009

15 COMICS I DUG . . .

This "month" DC comes back a little - lately Marvel has been dominating my "dig pile", which is sad in-and-of itself.

GREEN LANTERN
is solid, as usual, and I'm revving up for the big "DARKEST NIGHT" storyline. Oh, side note: While I love the Red [Rage] lanterns and love that they expel all their blood in a violent fit upon donning the red ring, must they always be spewing blood and trying to eat people? *psst, hey writers... I saw 28 Days Later, too... so did alot of people.

In addition, I happened to pick up BRAVE & THE BOLD #21, part 3 of a Green Lantern/Green Arrow teamup. I missed the first 2 parts, but I really enjoyed this issue. The nice art by Doug Braithwaite contributed greatly to that.

2 of my favorite DC books are about an issue away from their last [cancelled] issue; ROBIN & LEGION of SUPER-HEROES. Again, blow me DiDio.

Chris Gage's HOUSE OF M: CIVIL WAR mini concluded and it was a surprise awesome - well done, Chris. And I found myself quite surprisingly enjoying the COSMIC SIZE FANTASTIC FOUR special. Probably because it wasn't written by Mark Millar. And while many people threw their hands up at Marvel Zombies after the 2nd series - I was with you!!! - this 3rd series, however, is fantastic! It's by a diff't writer and full of more hardcore and less funny.

2 books I normally hate - Millar's WOLVERINE and Ellis' ASTONISHING X-MEN - found their way into my heart with their latest issues (Astonishing being #2 of the 2-issue mini-series "Ghost Boxes"). While not classics, they were fun and sang to my inner 14 year old.

Yost's X-FORCE is still the best x-title currently on the shelf. Which is funny, because when I first heard of the book, my head exploded. The mini-series X-INFERNUS is a surprise hit for me - so far, outstanding!

Esad Ribic painted one of (if not THE) best Namor images I've ever seen in SUB-MARINER: THE DEPTHS #5. I'll do a scan-n-post later. Kickass, dude!

And after an eon of boredom, THE WALKING DEAD has my interest once more. Why hasn't HBO picked this up yet?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't Namor supposed to be kind of flabby, have a five o'clock shadow, and smell bad?

And Marvel Zombies 3 was so much better than 2.

Anonymous said...

No, Namor isn't supposed to look or act like that. But we're talking about Marvel here. When has an established history or personal characteristics ever stopped them.
The white queen was a stripper bc that's what he hellfire club was of course, Wolverine created the Marvel Universe, Gwen was a whore, Skrulls are Klingons with religious fanaticism, She Hulk can knock out the Champion,and no one seems to know what a friggin symbiote is...it really doesn't matter to them any more.


-"it's interestng!"

Frank Gillespie said...

The only thing that disappointed me about the Red Lantern storyline was that there were indications or hints that the lantern itself would be used as a weapon itself. I though it would have been cool to see the lantern used as a bludgeoning instrument, close up and personal rage… just a thought. I do love the story though.