Monday, January 07, 2008

CLARIFICATION: OPINION ON NARIN ALIENS

I've been asked for some clarification on my NARIN "Death Warrior" model post. I praised the sculpt and alteration of look, yet bash other alterations from the ALIEN design. "Why do you like this, but not others? What makes this ok for you?" So here goes.... a glimpse into my madness (which is still the correct be-all, end-all opinion on all things Aliens, heehee):

Basically it comes down to where the design resides. If its in a MOVIE, then no alteration is necessary... Giger's design and Stan Winston's tweaked design are perfect, so continue to use either one of those in any movie. The BIOMECHANICAL element is essential - something that has been completely abandoned in the later Alien movies.

The Narin sculpt is a CUSTOM statue, and not official or tied into the actual movies - it's basically "fan art". I love what Narin did to the look of both creatures. Like I said, it reminds me of Brian Froud's work a bit. Very cool, but wouldn't want them in the movies... although I would "allow" the Predator because they have variations in armor design which is part of their fun factor. But I'm not a Predator Purist...

So there you have it.... as fan art , I dig the new take on the Alien design.... but if it was in the MOVIE, I'd be smashing.

It makes sense in my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering my question, Jim! It makes sense to me. When are you going to write your Guide To Aliens book? I'd buy it!