Monday, October 08, 2007

MOVIE REVIEW: ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES

We saw THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD saturday night. I've been having trouble writing a decent review of the film, so here goes some quick thoughts.....

Overall I really liked it and continued to think about it afterwards (usually a good sign). The cast is fan-fucking-tastic; Brad Pitt, Sam Shepard, Paul Schneider, Casey Affleck, Garret Dillahunt and Sam Rockwell (who's always great). The costuming, set design, sound and lighting was also something I found myself noticing and enjoying throughout. Although at times some of the cinematography came across as "artsy amateur bullshit". The attention to detail in some scenes was a treat and the theme of Celebrity and ramifications of was very interesting, as well.

The main problem I had with the film was it was long and fucking boring. There, I said it. That is to say, the pacing was very slow and never moved. Now I'm not one who needs quick MTV cuts and bullshit Hollywood formula, but I do need to be entertained outside of just pretty scenery. The film is too slow and is missing that xtra element (in the script???) needed to make this a classic. It's a real shame because the film comes very close.

At first I said I probably wouldn't need to see it again, but the more I think about the film, the more I'd like another viewing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I saw it, too. We agree with your review. Well said!