Wednesday, March 14, 2007

YAY COMICS ! !

Here are 10 COMICS I've read recently that made me geek out hard.
In no particular order:

GREEN LANTERN #17:

Fantastic art by one of my new favorites MATTHEW CLARK. In this issue, the storyline with ABIN SUR's son comes to a head. The issue is filled with tons of "SWEET!!!!" moments!

CIVIL WAR: THE INITIATIVE #1:
The new era post-Civil War. Tony Stark is now in charge of SHIELD. Issue one was sort of a "preview" book of things to come. And I'm stoked! The setup for OMEGA FLIGHT was awesome and I wish Silvestri was going to be on that title, cause he was back in form this issue.... over the top gratuitous T&A shots not withstanding.

THE ILLUMINATI #1 & 2:
A secret organization comprised of several of the world's most powerful superheroes: Doctor Strange; Black Bolt, Charles Xavier, Reed Richards, Namor and Iron Man. The idea was to share information and decide secretly how all of the individual groups would correspond. Black Panther declined! This is their story and its cooool.

THE MIGHTY AVENGERS:
Bendis blows. There, I've said it. I really don't like his Gilmore Girls writing style. However, he brings back THOUGHT BALOONS, so I'm including this book. The issue itself is eh-ok, with some nice gems here or there. Overall, didn't dig it.

ANNIHILATION: HERALDS OF GALACTUS: TERRAX:
Thank you for making Terrax cool and scary again! The art is great and made me want to pick up my ole Illustration tools again and draw.

UNCANNY X-MEN #483 & 484:
This series under Brubaker's pen has been boring the shit out of me since it started 10 issues ago. However, things are finally starting to come together and I found myself really enjoying the last 2 issues. Right now the Shi'Ar are about to go into a full fledge civil war with the X-Men right in the middle of things. TAN's art is at its best with these issues, too. His pencils combined with the sleek inking and rad coloring makes this book a purty one, too!

52 #43 & 44:
This was starting to bore me. But the past 2 issues with BLACK ADAM and Family RULED. Holy crap I cannot wait until issue 45 comes out!!!!

BRAVE & THE BOLD #1: GREEN LANTERN & BATMAN:
GEORGE PEREZ is back, baby! This was just a good ole fashion FUN comic! I really enjoyed this one. Perez is the master of panel for your buck.

NEW UNIVERSAL #1-4:
I never read the old New Universe stuff in the late 80s. This is sort of a reboot/remake of sorts I guess. Regardless, I've found myself really enjoying this book! I wish Larocca's art was this good during his horrid X-Men run.

BULLET POINTS #5
The whole series was really good. But issue 5 was killer! The double page spread of Galactus in New York City was incredible and I actually exclaimed "Whoa!!!" outloud when I turned the page (ask TRex!). Also, out of nowhere was a 9/11 analogy and "message", and for the first time since, I was given a sense of hope and healing. Sounds crazy and dorky, I know. But it really moved me and made me feel better about the Future. Behold the power of a comic book! Plus, the comic was simply awesome on so many levels.

JUSTICE #10
No pic posted. I posted about this earlier, but felt it should also be with this one. So click HERE for that post. The comic rulez.

No comments: