Thursday, March 29, 2007

DOUCHEBAGS OF THE DAY: CIRCUIT CITY

From MSNBC:
When U.S. manufacturers want to cut labor costs they often close up shop and head for a Third World country to find cheap labor. But when retailers want to cut costs they don’t have that option because they need stores in American towns if they want to sell to Americans.

Circuit City has found a unique way around this conundrum. On Wednesday officials at the struggling electronics retailer announced they would fire 3,400 of their highest-paid clerks and replace them with workers who will take less money, essentially hoping to find their own bargain-basement work force right here in the good old USA.

It’s all part of a plan to save money and cuts costs for the big-box chain, which also reduced sales growth expectations this week. By shutting stores, outsourcing its IT department and cutting 9 percent of its 40,000 store employees, the company hopes to save $110 million in its current fiscal year and $140 million next year, says Circuit City spokesman Jim Babb. More.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, didn't think the douchebags would have the balls to do it again. I worked for them a few years back when they fired all their high paid commission sales people and converted us all to hourly. I’m so glad I quit.

Jim said...

BREE!!!!!!!
YAY!!!!!

Jim said...

er, I hope that's the same Bree as I'm thinking of....

Anonymous said...

Yeah, It's me. I've always wanted to post on your blog, but seemed to always be working. Well, I 'm working at playing on the internet today...ummm I mean working hard in the art department with Hunter :)