Monday, September 11, 2006

METAL: A HEADBANGER'S JOURNEY

I watched the documentary
METAL: A HEADBANGER'S JOURNEY this weekend and quite enjoyed it! It's made by Sam Dunn, a 30yr old antrhopologist and diehard metal fan. His mission with the documentary is to try and figure out why metal music is consistently stereotyped, dismissed and condemned, while also spotlighting the fans and community that keeps Metal alive and thriving in "the underground" of mainstream music. His mapping out the history of Metal and all its sub-genres is great and his passion for the music is refreshing. It's not perfect, by any means, and there are areas he skips over as well as areas he stays on too long. Rob Halford's absense in the film is louder than the music, I felt. Its a fun, interesting documentary about Metal by a young anthropologist. In the end, I enjoyed the discussions about the MUSIC.... I've never been a fan of the "metal mentality or lifestyle" as I find it cliche, silly and embarrassing. Kinda like the comic lifestyle! Even amongst the outcasts, I stand alone. haha

VH1 is running it now, so check it out. Otherwise, rent the dvd
(its unedited and trimmed like the VH1 broadcast).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Norwegian Dearh Metal is my new favorite genre'