Wednesday, September 20, 2006

THE HOBBIT SANS PETER JACKSON ?

Ah, Nuts!!
I posted before that they are moving forward with the Hobbit movie.

Peter Jackson regarding The Hobbit:
"I was reading that this morning on the net. It's a rather strange thing to wake to. I'm up for it, but somebody should phone me because I'm getting a bit booked out at the moment!"

"Everybody asks me about THE HOBBIT," Jackson continued, "you know? But the reality is I've never had a conversation with anybody about it. Not one person has ever made a phone call to me. I don't know. The irony is that we're acquiring our own projects now and we're buying the rights to books. The reality is, to be quite honest with you, we're getting ourselves now nice and busy, in a good way, for the next 4 years. So, people have not (spoken to us) about THE HOBBIT and it's making it more and more impossible for us to be involved."

"Obviously, I'm interested in THE HOBBIT, but right now we have no emotional investment in it. For the last few years, we have put our hearts into other projects. It would seem strange to have somebody else do it, although some part of me would be interested in going to see somebody else's HOBBIT, be able to buy my popcorn and go and sit and watch the film."
Making The Hobbit without Peter Jackson would be like making Star Wars without Lucas.... oh wait, lemmie think of a better analogy.... you get my point.

1 comment:

Brian Sibley said...

Since THE HOBBIT was a story that grew into a very different kind of work in the form of TLOTR, maybe it will be fine for someone else to make it as long as we can then pretend it came FIRST...

You can read the full story about Jackson's KONG, HOBBIT, TLOTR progress in my authorised biography, PETER JACKSON: A FILMMAKER'S JOURNEY, published on 6 November...