Wednesday, August 30, 2006

WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE

Yesterday, Aug 29, was the 1 year anniversary of the Katrina Disaster. Can you believe its been a year already? Last night I caught a good chunk of Spike Lee's documentary "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts" and I'm glad I did. The disaster seems to have come and gone from our attention and this was a welcome reminder, especially because it isn't over. While I'm not the biggest Spike Lee fan, I found this film to be well done and executed. Lee stays behind the camera and allows survivors to simply tell their stories of what they went through and what has transpired this past year. The images we all saw on the news are still extremely powerful and the film is emotional, educational and interesting. It's 4hrs long, but I never once became bored or uninterested. I highly recommend watching it, or even parts of it.

Its being aired on HBO right now.
Go watch it.
Be reminded.

No comments: