Thursday, March 09, 2006

MOVIE REVIEW: ANIMAL FACTORY

ANIMAL FACTORY was on HBO last night and I got sucked into it. It's a prison movie directed by Steve Buscemi, and I recommend it. The story is somewhat weak in some regards but its more of a character driven movie anyway. Regardless of how accurate or inaccurate it is in portraying the world inside a prison, it's highly entertaining and interesting. The real treat is watching Willem DeFoe. He's awesome in this and I couldn't take my eyes off him throughout. His head is completely shaven and he looks freaking maniacal! He's also joined by a great cast including Edward Furlong (yes, the T2 kid, but he's ok in this), Danny Trejo (the mean dude in Con Air), Mark Boone Junior (the dirty cop in Batman Begins), Seymour Cassel (the dad in Rushmore), John Heard (Cmdr Barry Trammel of the Pegasus on B.Galactica), and Tom Arnold as an awesome "elvis rapist convict". But the gem and price of admission is watching Mickey Rourke play a full on drag queen convict. Seriously, I want a movie made about THAT character! Price of admission, man. (btw, Rourke was in DOMINO, which I reviewed the other day... he makes that movie watchable).
The movie has its faults, but that is more with the ending. You keep feeling that its going to boil to a bursting point, but in the end they totally blow it and fumble on the 1-yard line, roll credits. However, they give you a Star Wars ending, straight up, so it kind of makes up for it on another level. But up until that last 5 minutes, you'll be totally engaged in the movie. Perhaps I've become too accustomed to the grand Hollywood bif-bam-boom storytelling. Anyway, Buscemi creates an interesting different world and you stay in there the entire time. I found myself not wanting the movie to end; to just continue watching these characters live and survive. I really enjoyed the movie and would like to watch it again. Like I said, if you just watch it for the characters and performances, I think you'll really enjoy the ride, especially if you're a Willem DeFoe fan (Mary!) or Mickey Rourke fan. So give it a rental or catch it on HBO if you get a chance. I'd love to see a sequel, where we revisit that world and up the antie.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I rented this movie when I workerd at Tower Video, in Greenwich Village(98-00). Had I not worked at a video store, I may not have seen this. And being that it was in such a diverse community, there were many films you wouldn't find at your local Blockbuster(there was a foreign film section for cryin' out loud...I pretty much rented stuff you can see all the time, with a few of the not so mainstream stuff)